Christine,

By all means, have the city send someone out to re-check your meter! Just call the number on your statement for billing inquiries. Last summer, I got a water bill for $900 when the meter reader inverted two numbers.

Also, you can check for a slow leak in your commodes by putting cold coffee or a cola in your toilet tanks. If there's a slow leak, the water in the bowl will turn brown. In all likelihood, the folks in the utilities department will suggest this, so it's good to be able to tell them you've already checked this possibility (As if a slow leak would increase your total water usage by a factor of ten...!).

Hope this helps!
Kathleen