I've given up writing for Vector. (That's a terrible thing to say for
someone still loosely attached to the Vector committee.)

Why write a letter on vellum with a quill pen when you can pick up the
phone?

Of course, if I still had an academic reputation to defend, funding sources
to keep sweet, administrators to browbeat, pretty students to wow, I'd
think differently. My shelf full of journals would be like the diploma on
the wall. But the old systems are withering away.

Yet academics continue to need accreditation, good peer-reviews,
publications for their CV (in case they get hounded out of their school).
What's to replace the old systems? Facebook Likes?