I don't think this is a concern for those with public github repos (like
ourselves). Our private git repos are self-hosted, not on github.

The real concern would be for those with private github repos, which may
now become readable by Microsoft. Whatever assurances are given, I think it
likely that some private repos will be moved elsewhere. This will reduce
their revenue, since github only charges for private repos.