Hi Marco,

I think it is really up to you which method you prefer.

If you use MRPE, you need to follow the Nagios plugin development
guidelines. Of course you can also use all available monitoring plugin
that are built for Nagios (Nagios exchange and monitoring-plugins.org).
In NRPE the output of plugins is limited to 1024 bytes (if there are
more, they are lost in transmission). I'm not sure if Check_MK has this
limitation as well. My guess it that MRPE has been introduced as a
replacement for NRPE checks, only to overcome the problem of having
Nagios/Icinga schedule active checks for every NRPE check. A limitation
here is that you have to hard-code your thresholds in mrpe.cfg for
(almost) all plugins.

If you use local checks, you need to conform to different guidelines for
your plugin output. As stated before, you can limit execution of local
checks to once every n seconds by placing your scripts in
subdirectories. You *can* have Nagios plugins run this way, but you'll
have to write a wrapper for them, as these plugin use their exit code to
report the status of the check, while local checks report them in the
output line.

MRPE checks are configured in a single file by default (mrpe.cfg), and
therefore have all threshold configured in a single place. Using local
checks, you can set up configuration any way you see fit. You can write
your plugins to look a single configuration file, a set of configuration
files, hard-code thresholds in your script or have thresholds calculated
based on the information you're processing. Your method of choice may
also depend on the type of data you want to set up monitoring for.

My personal preference for developing plugin is to use local checks, but
in the end I think it's entirely up to you which method you prefer.

Do note though, that Check_MK doesn't support whitespace in the service
names for local checks. For MRPE this support was added with werk #2937
[1]. However, the change that allowed this was quite simple, so I
created a patch [2] to also add this support for local checks. This
patch hasn't been picked up by the Check_MK guys though, so it's
currently unsupported by them.

[1] http://mathias-kettner.com/check_mk_werks.php?werk_id=2937&HTML=yes