What I need is to stagger the checks (you found the exact word I's was
looking for!). The default time frame is OK for me, the real problem
is that currently, once per day, a huge number of checks is activated
*in the same second* and thus most of them are timing out.
Unfortunately Implementing this with different time periods would
really not be practical  (there is many hundredth of hosts in my
current setup).
I'm surprised not having faced this issue with the previous old
CheckMK implementation (with even more hosts). Could there be an
"maximum-parallel-checks" setting somewhere which have not be
reimplemented of that I've missed?
Other approach: a little bit of "randomness" in the schedule could be
an option too.
But I guess those workarounds would be Nagios engine settings, not on
CheckMK side.