I will try that.  However, now that I removed them manually, is it too late?
And how do I get the exact package name?  Thanks again for all your help!

From: Andreas Döhler [mailto:andreas.doeh...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 3:17 PM
To: Jason Townsend
Cc: checkmk-en@lists.mathias-kettner.de
Subject: Re: [Check_mk (english)] checkmk-en Digest, Vol 103, Issue 21

Jason Townsend <jtown...@jhmi.edu<mailto:jtown...@jhmi.edu>> schrieb am Mo.,
12. März 2018 um 18:10 Uhr:
Hi -
So I tried the two commands below and both got a systemctl: command not found.

The version of Linux this box is running is 12.04.5 LTS if that affects
anything.

12.04 is using Upstart - i don't know if there are any special things to do

I am still unclear how you are supposed to uninstall the 1.4.0p26 so that I can
install the 1.2.8p27.

Here is what I've done:
rm -f /usr/bin/check_mk_agent
rm -f /usr/bin/waitmax
rm -f /etc/xinetd.d/check_mk
Why removing the files by hand? If you want to remove an "apt-get remove
<package-name>" should be enough.

br
Andreas