From: Jukka Zitting [mailto:jukka.zitt...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:22 PM
To: chemistry-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: OpenCMIS contribution to Chemistry

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Florian Müller <fmuel...@opentext.com> wrote:
> Most of you on this list have heard about OpenCMIS. The OpenCMIS project has
> been
> founded by Alfresco, Open Text and SAP to build CMIS related libraries and
> tools for
> Java. In December last year we proposed a new Incubator project. Based on
> subsequent
> discussions we now would like to follow Florents and Jukkas invitation and
> contribute
> our code to Chemistry. With this email I would like to start a discussion if
> this is
> feasible and how this would look like.

Excellent. Here's what I propose as the next steps to follow:

* File an "OpenCMIS contribution" issue in [1] and attach the latest
OpenCMIS code (or an svndump from BerliOS for keeping the full svn
history).

* Start the IP clearance [2] for the code by submitting a software
grant [3]. Note that you can also do the software grant as a part of
the corporate contributor license agreement (CCLA) [4] that you'll
also need for the next step. As an ASF officer I can take care of the
rest or the IP clearance process.

* Have Alfresco, OpenText and SAP submit (or amend existing) CCLAs [4]
for all the proposed OpenCMIS committers.

* Have all the proposed OpenCMIS committers submit their individual
contributor license agreements (CLA) [5].

* I'll ask the Chemistry project (and the Incubator) to grant commit
rights to all the proposed OpenCMIS committers.

All of the above steps can be started right away and don't need to be
done in any particular order. Once at least a few of these steps are
done, we can follow up with the following:

* Once the IP clearance is done, we'll import the OpenCMIS code to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/chemistry/opencmis, where
it'll have it's own {trunk,branches,tags} structure.

* Once the committer vote passes and the required CLA's are in place,
we'll request set up committer accounts for all the OpenCMIS
committers.

That's all. :-)

Now, as discussed earlier it's still unclear how much synergies we'll
in practice see between OpenCMIS and the existing Chemistry codebases.
I'm optimistic that we'll see good cooperation and convergence, but if
it turns out after a few months that the codebases and communities
won't start converging naturally, then we have a good case for
following the original plan of starting a separate OpenCMIS podling.
In that case we've already done all the hard setup work and starting
the new podling will be just a matter of requesting a few new mailing
lists and doing a simple svn move.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CMIS
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/
[3] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt