I'm running the Windows version of Cherokee but I guess it shouldn't
matter. I'd like to disable directory listing on my site so I changed the
common handler to file handler in the default config file. Then I find
that the DirectoryIndex does not work any more. Instead, I get 404.
I understand that I can enable directory listing and put an index file
there. This certainly work for the home directory because I will put
an index.htm there anyway. But for my data directories, I'll have to
manually set them to use file handler. I'm hoping the default is
inherited from the root directory, which could be set to use file
handler with DirectoryIndex set to my default page. But it looks like
DirectoryIndex are file handler are mutually exclusive?

DirectoryIndex index.htm

Directory / {
   Handler file
}