All,
Thanks for the input, I was able to run the following command and find
out that PHP uses /etc/php.ini:
run php -i | grep "php.ini"
I'm using cherokee on an embedded system so I was also able to
recompile PHP and change its ini directory to a more preferred
location of "/etc/php5/php.ini"
FYI,
The embedded tools I'm using are provided by the opensource project
www.openebedded.org.  These tools work great and already have full
support for cherokee and PHP.
Regards,
Shane