----Original Message----
Da: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Data: 13-feb-2007 
10.00 AM
A: <[email protected]>
Ogg: [Cherokee] cherokee 
modules

> Hello,
> 
> I'm working on my end-of-degree project, and I'm 
interested on create a
> module for cherokee.
> 
> I read some time ago 
in the list archives, some threads about traffic
> shapping, Do you 
know anything about it?
> 
> The discussion begun in october 2005 and 
ended in the same month.

Well indeed there is some discussion in 2006 
too (just search for "traffic shaping").

> Is anybody working on it 
now?

I don't know, but the important thing to keep in mind is that
traffic shaping / traffic throttling should be added along with
some 
strong mechanism to prevent the "too many connections" scenario
(which 
can easily be triggered when you throttle / limit the output a lot).

Till now, at least four limits have been identified:
    - per server 
limit;
    - per virtual server limit;
    - per connection limit;
    
- per directory limit.

I would add also:
    - per IP limit;
    - per 
mime type limit.

Each limit should be configurable both by run-time 
parameters
and by compile-disable option,  in order to avoid
even the 
smallest impact on performances.

In any case we could start with a 
simple but effective
implementation with only one or two limits (i.e. 
per connection and / or per server)
(i.e. even for 0.6.1 or 0.6.2) and 
then reimplement it (i.e. in 0.7)
with a more complex interface to 
which adding more limits is easy.

Of course no one prevents anybody to 
start with the hard way :-)

---
A.D.F.

_______________________________________________
Cherokee mailing list
[email protected]
http://cherokee-project.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cherokee

Reply via email to