Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
------------------------------------------------------------

Jim,

GM catalog shows the following (sorry, I only go up to 71 on this):

6470424 - (type 40727) fits
69 All (396)
70 Chevelle w/Sp. H/Per. (396,454)

6470307 - (type 40768) fits
70 Chevelle w/4BC (396,400) (exc. Sp. H/Per.)

6470570 (no type number given) fits
71 Pass., Chevelle w/4BC (400,454) (exc. Sp. H/Per.)

One of those two should work.  BTW, the "type" is usually the AC/Delco
aftermarket part number.  If yours is originally an AC/Delco new or rebuilt
unit, many times they have the "type" roll stamped into the edge of the
mounting flange.  I haven't used or changed a mech fuel pump in a while, but
I'm pretty sure the sbc and bbc pumps mount the same and are
interchangeable...more or less.  It depends on the position, size, and
number of lines involved.  I would also imagine that the bbc pumps may have
a higher flow rate, but can't prove it.

Dale McIntosh
ACES #1709/TC #92 Gold
67 SS/67 Elky
http://www.dalesplace.com




>
> Does anyone know if fuel pumps have part numbers stamped on them and if I
> could find/read one while the pump is still on the car?  The reason I
> need to know is this: I'm not sure what year/style pump I currently have,
> so before I pull my current fuel pump off to replace it I want to have
> the correct replacement on hand.
>
> The reason for the mystery is this: I have a 69 SS396 with a '72 402
> engine & a 69 Q-jet in it.  Also, instead of a 3-piece pump to carburetor
> line, I have a single piece pump-to-carburetor fuel line. After looking
> at the pump photos in an older Year One catalog, my pump visually appears
> to have a shape like the 1971-1972 big block fuel pump that they sell (as
> opposed to the shape of the 1969 big block fuel pump that they sell).
>
> So, I'm leaning towards ordering a 1971-1972 pump, but before I do so I'm
> wondering if I could expect to find a decodable ID number that would be
> visible to me if I were to scrape off what looks like decades worth of
> grease and grime on the pump while it is on the car.
>
>         As always, thanks in advance for all the help I get on this list!
>
>         Jim -69-SS396- H.


-----------------------------------------------------
To Unsubscribe please visit www.chevelles.net/list.html
To start a new topic, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to