I am just wondering what gas and or additives some of you are using in basically stock big blocks. In the past I used to use 89 octane, with only occasional engine run on when shutting it off. Never ping'd on acceleration - timing at 14' BTDC. Last year I permanently switched to 93 octane and it runs smoother and never has engine run on. Mine has a mild cam, stock 10:25 comp, 750 Holley and headers. I don't race or drive it hard - ok occasionally some fast starts and a few burn outs. However, recent discussions at cruise nights come out that using 89 octane will eventually blow holes in the pistons with some swear by using a lead additive. Any comments?
I run 91 or 93 octane in the stock 350hp 396 in the car and have had no problems with over 2K miles of driving. The only way you're going to blow holes in the pistons is if the motor detonates. If it's doing that, it sounds like the worst pinging/rattling noise you ever heard. If you don't hear that noise, you'll be OK. One other thing that can happen is that if you haven't had the hardened seats installed in the exhausts, you MIGHT see a problem with valve seat erosion. I think that's been hashed out here before, check the archives. The additives don't hurt anything, so if you want the peace of mind then pour it in.
BL

