I'll keep my eyes out for a 454 block for you. One ton pickups used a lot of
four bolt blocks. If it were me,I wouldn't care one bit whether it was a two
bolt or four bolt block as a two bolt can easily handle over 750hp w/o
problems. A Mark IV block would be preferable over a Mark V or VI also as
parts are cheaper & more available than the later blocks. Around here,a good
Mark IV 454 four bolt block will bring anywhere from $400-800,depending on
prep work needed.
Good move on blowing off the tall deck idea. They are way more trouble than
they are worth.
Clint Hooper
H&H Custom,owner
1969 El Camino ProTourer
2001 H-D FLHR custom bagger
http://dalesplace.com/misc/friends/clint/clint_hooper.htm
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Herb Lumpp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


> Thanks guys.  I called Scat yesterday and this is what I found out...
> I can use a standard 454 crank and pistons but I would need to get longer
> rods, custom headers, intake spacers, longer pushrods, and a different
> distributor.  The tech guy at Scat also said a tall deck can get expensive
> quickly.  Plus it weighs more than a standard deck block.
> Now I know.  Thanks!
>
> Clint - Since I have all those left over LS6 parts from the Elky, I want
to
> assemble a 454 for the Vette.  So, if you know of a good 4 bolt main 454
> block with a standard bore let me know.
> Herb Lumpp
> http://users.adelphia.net/~hlump/index.htm
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Brian Knight
> Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 10:46 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Tall deck big block
>
>
> Opps, one more thing, standard headers don't work. The drivers side will
in
> most cases, but the right side will hit the starter.
>
> Brian
>
> >From: "Brian Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Reply-To: The Chevelle Mailing List <[email protected]>
> >To: [email protected]
> >Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Tall deck big block
> >Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:40:41 -0400
> >
> >On tall deck truck engines, the piston has a fourth ring. Also, most of
> >them have gear driven timing sets from the factory. That's all I know for
> >sure.
> >
> >
> >Brian
> >
> >>From: "Clint Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>Reply-To: The Chevelle Mailing List <[email protected]>
> >>To: "The Chevelle Mailing List" <[email protected]>
> >>Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Tall deck big block
> >>Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:39:47 -0500
> >>
> >>At the very least,the pistons are different. What do you have in mind
> >>now,Herb?
> >>Clint Hooper
> >>H&H Custom,owner
> >>1969 El Camino ProTourer
> >>2001 H-D FLHR custom bagger
> >>http://dalesplace.com/misc/friends/clint/clint_hooper.htm
> >>----- Original Message -----
> >>From: "Herb Lumpp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>
> >>
> >> > Does anyone know if a standard 454 crank/rod/piston combo will fit in
a
> >>tall
> >> > deck block?  I don't know for sure, but I assume because the deck
> >>height
> >>is
> >> > 10.2" vs the standard 9.8", the pistons and/or rods will need to be
> >> > different.  TIA
> >> >
> >> > Herb Lumpp
> >> > http://users.adelphia.net/~hlump/index.htm
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >_________________________________________________________________
> >Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
> >http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/
> >
> >
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
> http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>
>
>



Reply via email to