Sounds like you got it just right; thanks. A couple of new pieces of info I hadn't found, and didn't think of.
Have set things up with the alignment tool and have been trying to mount up the housing & trans to the engine as a unit. Sounds like that may not be the smartest idea. Will take another run at it tonight.
Thanks!
__________________________________
Mike Heiser
1966 Chevelle SS | 1969 Chevelle Malibu | 1969 El Camino
Chevelle & El Camino Club of Oregon #254, ACES #6659, TC #2712
From: "Mike Holleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Reply-To: The Chevelle Mailing List <[email protected]>
To: "The Chevelle Mailing List" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 66 SS--progress so far
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:51:29 -0400
Michael, Would it not be easier to install the bell housing first to the engine and then the trans? I can't say that I've ever tried what you are attempting. I may be missing something you are dealing with that didn't come across in your post. On spline alignment. I'm sure you are using an alignment tool. They will get you close. Once the pilot bearing makes contact with the shaft, you can have someone compress the clutch and the trans should slip on in. If your clutch is not hooked up use a large adjustable wrench for leverage on the fork to compress. Also, don't forget to use a liberal amount of sealant on the shaft end that flushes with the trans facing and butts to the bellhousing. It will leak here if not.Hope this helps and I'm not misunderstanding what you are dealing with.Mike----- Original Message -----From: Michael HeiserSent: Monday, October 10, 2005 1:03 PMSubject: [Chevelle-list] 66 SS--progress so farNot sure if any of you remember, but I looked for and received a great deal of advice from the list re: basic maintenance on an out-of-car 454 for a '66 SS. Great response at that time for which I'm still grateful. And, as you all know, any "little" project can quickly get blown out of proportion. Such is the case with the '66. Headers (wow, what a pain that was), new steering box, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing, cam, springs, timing gear, gauges, oil pump & pan, interior fully removed w/Dynamat throughout, trans out & refreshed, and more...whew. It's too easy to take them apart and takes too long to put them back together. But what a kick doing so! Can't wait to get this thing back on the road.
Which brings me to my next question: reinstalling the M-21 with the engine in the car. Wrestled with the sucker most of yesterday, taking great care not to ding up the pilot bushing, clutch parts, or the transmission shaft. The bell housing wants to jam between the headers and/or the body, and it's a--challenge--shall we say, lining up the splines.
What I've discovered so far during an internet search: jack up the front of the motor to change the angle at the back, rotate the bell housing so the starter "bump" is facing down. Leave it in gear so the trans shaft rotates with the case, helping align splines. Once inserted put trans in neutral, rotate the entire assembly, and bolt up. Easy huh?
I've never done one of these before, so I'm sure there are some tips & tricks to make it easier and potentially less damaging to components--and my back. :-)
__________________________________
Mike Heiser
1966 Chevelle SS | 1969 Chevelle Malibu | 1969 El Camino
Chevelle & El Camino Club of Oregon #254, ACES #6659, TC #2712
Search, shop, and browse smarter using tabs with the MSN Search Toolbar-FREE!
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.13/124 - Release Date: 10/7/2005
Make FREE PC-to-PC calls with MSN Messenger. Get it now!

