Ronnie Happy new Year back at ya.     My elky is a 72.  The hinges are
probably very similar in design if not identical.     I removed the 3 bolts
holding each hinge to the door.   I drove out the hinge pin  and left the
chassis portion attached to the body.   Basically rebuilt it on the car.

   If you do it this way be absolutely sure to tape up the rear edge of the
fender & leading edge of the door.   I also used a couple of old beach
towels as bumpers.   Also people have highly recommended  marking the
location of the door side hinge so you can get it close on the
reinstallation.    Rebuilding the hinge was easy (once I got the drill &
spring tool) , it was the reinstallation  and realignment of the door which
took time.
   And finally, on my 72 at least,  I it looks like I could have rebuilt the
lower hinge without completely removing the door.   But it was impossible to
reinstall the hinge pin on the upper because of interference with the door
sheetmetal.     Lastly, if you do rebuild yours, make sure that the "flutes"
at the head of the hinge pin are not too long.  They should only be long
enough that they engage the metal of the hinge & not pass into the
bushing.    If I find my camera I'll post pictures.
On Jan 2, 2008 9:01 AM, ronnie, a.k.a. rocko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,  just  wanted  to  wish  everyone  on  the  list  a  happy  new
> year,  i  did  miss  the  year  of  ricks  car  on  the  door  hinge
> issue,  i  have  a  67  and  someone  told  me  in  order  to  get  to  the
> hinge  bolts  one  would  have  to  remove  a  fender,  instresting,  never
> considered  taking  removing  the  door,  was  just  wondering  if  the
> same  method  would  work  on  a  67,  thanks,  ronnie
>
> ------------------------------
> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! 
> Search.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51734/*http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>
>
>


-- 
Rick Schaefer
72 TPI El Camino

Reply via email to