Let me back track. My 65 does have a vin plate on the driver side post. It
has so many layers of paint I could not see it at first. Second, vin were
standardized in 1979 before that each manufacture had their own system.

From: chevelle-list-boun...@chevelles.net
[mailto:chevelle-list-boun...@chevelles.net] On Behalf Of Trooper
Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2011 6:34 AM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 69 chevelle

There seems to be some confusion about the different "plates" we all are
talking about here so here is a brief description of each to help.

The 65-67 Chevelles has the VIN tag on the left front door hinge pillar.
68-72 are on the left dash visible through the windshield. This is the tag
that identifies your car with the DMV for licensing, ownership, etc. It is
illegal to tamper with or remove this tag. There are several places you can
find the "hidden VIN's" on these cars. Since the frames can be changed,
probably the best place would be on the fire wall under the heater blower.

 The tag on the left hand portion of the cowl is the trim tag. This tag
gives you body build date, trim codes,Model year and ID, interior style,
body color, etc. Most restorers feel this tag is also very important to the
car but it will not suffice for a VIN tag with the DMV and it is not illegal
to remove.

 The protect-o-plate is a plate that came with your classic when it was new.
It came in a cardboard pamphlet in your glovebox. It was used for warrantee
purposes. It is coded for all the options on your car and thus can identify
an SS for 69-72 when SS was simply an option. Other Chevelles 65-68 an SS
can be identified in the VIN code.

 The build sheets were sheets with all the specific cars options so the guys
on the line knew how to build each individual car. They were to be thrown
away after they were used but many guys simply stuffed them in the seats,
doors, above the glove box or gas tank and anywhere else they could hide
them. So if you can't find your build sheet it's because someone else did
many years ago and tossed it or the guys on the line that day were doing
their job correctly and disposing of your sheets correctly. These sheets
have all your options on them and thus can identify a real 69-72 SS.

 There are other ways to identify an SS Chevelle from 69-72 such as unique
paint codes, engines with matching VINs, W in the VIN of the 72's, etc. But
the build sheet is the gold standard.

Hope this clarifies a few things.

Tony