This message is forwarded to you by the editors of the Chiapas95
newslists.  To contact the editors or to submit material for posting send
to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

From: "Dana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NN,Marcos: Zapatistas Will Not Attend Evo's Inauguration in
Bolivia,Jan 15
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:28:04 +0100

Marcos: Zapatistas Will Not Attend Evo's Inauguration in Bolivia
By Al Giordano, Narco News
Posted on Sun Jan 15th, 2006 at 09:24:55 PM EST

CHETUMAL, MEXICO, JANUARY 15, 2006: Mexican rebel spokesman Subcomandante
Marcos said today that the Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN, in
its Spanish initials) will not accept the invitation by Bolivian
president-elect Evo Morales to attend his January 22nd inauguration.
During a meeting with allies in the "Other Campaign" in Chetumal, Quintana
Roo, on Saturday, in response to a question about whether the Zapatistas
will accept the invite made by Bolivia's president elect, Marcos said, "They
invited us and we received the invitation but we're not going to go, because
we are in the Other Campaign from below."

"We don't have relations with governments, whether they are good or bad"
said Marcos. "We have relations with the people. And we have a lot of
respect for the Bolivian people."

The statement by Marcos puts to rest reports in some Bolivian and
international news media that the Zapatistas would be attending the
inauguration of Bolivia's first indigenous president: reports that had
raised eyebrows across the continent because the indigenous Zapatistas shun
relations with political parties and the government in Mexico.

"And if the Bolivian people say yes, well, we respect it," added Marcos,
"but we don't attend inaugurations for governments whether good or bad. Our
way is more like what we are doing right now. That is how we have achieved
all that we have won." Later in the afternoon, in larger meeting with social
fighters and sympathizers from the region, Marcos said about Mexican
reality, in words that apply to all lands: "There might even be sometimes a
candidate that wins with a good program. But as long as the problem of the
system is not solved, the problems will repeat over and over again."

Still later, at a public meeting with 700 Chetumal-area residents, Marcos -
speaking of this year's national elections in Mexico - forecasted that "the
party in power will have different colors but will not change the system,"
and invoked those present to "unite all the small struggles and then we will
make a real change in this country."

Marcos - traveling the Mexican Republican with the civilian handle of
"Delegate Zero" - made these remarks during his first full day of meetings
outside of Chiapas. The rebel spokesman arrived yesterday to Chetumal,
capital of the coastal state of Quintana Roo, where he will hold meetings
and public events through Tuesday before moving on to nearby Yucata'n state
and later across the nation.

During today's session with adherents to the Other Campaign - constructing a
national anti-capitalist political movement "from below and to the left" -
Delegate Zero presented various political organizers, an environmental
advocate, and an "other journalist" from the alternative media to share
their knowledge in key areas of struggle - the crisis that grips the peasant
farmer, Plan Puebla Panama's development plans for the region, protecting
the environment and constructing alternate media - with local allies. Full
reports (including audio and video: in the meantime see the online video
newsreel Delegate Zero Nears Quintana Roo, with an xray of the struggles
Marcos found alive and fighting here today) are forthcoming from the Other
Journalism here on Narco News, but, first, your correspondents are still
reporting the days events.