This message is forwarded to you by the editors of the Chiapas95
newslists.  To contact the editors or to submit material for posting send
to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:59:24 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: more details on oaxaca

This from a Mexican friend and activist who  lives in Oaxaca - Monty

Dear friends:

What we feared, for you and for all of us,  unfortunately happened. At least,
you were not directly exposed to this  horror...

Our beautiful plaza, that you could not fully  appreciate because of the
tents, looked this morning like a Bagdad corner. The  body count started.
Several
women and children died. Many teachers  were detained or dissapeared.
Provocateurs of the government destroyed  shops, banks, etc., in order to
justify the
brutality of the police -which, for  example, broke the windows of all the
cars parked near the plaza to take them  off...

There is a kind of popular revolt. Ten municipal  governments (some of them
of the most important cities of Oaxaca, like Juchita'n,  Tuxtepec and Huajuapan)
had been taken by the people. The tension mounts to  dangerous levels. When a
military regiment came to the plaza of Tuxtepec to  "help", the people
destroyed their barracks. In the main plaza of Oaxaca,  recovered after the
first
skirmishes (with helicopters throwing bombs with  gases, etc.), the teachers
took from the police their clubs and expelled them...  The police destroyed the
free radio operated by the teachers union. The students  of the university, in
response, occupied the University radio... The local  media, controlled by the
governor, transmitted messages from him denying  everything: nothing was
happening in Oaxaca, the government was in full control  of the situation... In
the afternoon, it was announced that the army and the  federal police were being
transported to the city by planes and buses. People  from Atenco and many
other places are also coming.

This morning we are in a kind of truce: the  governor and the teachers
leaders are negotiating in the office of the Minister  of the Interior.

Every kind of march is announced for today and  tomorrow.

We are prepared for the worst...but still hoping  for the best: impeachment
of our barbaric governor (something particularly  difficult at this juncture).

Muchos abrazos,

G.