Some news and commentary on the Chicago Housing Authority’s “Plan for Transformation,”
shifting existing public housing complexes to mixed-income developments and relocating
residents.

1.      CHA’s ad campaign for the summer
2.      The Chicago Reporter on CHA’s plan and homelessness
3.      Tribune letter to the editor
4.      Remarks of William P. Wilen. Director of Housing Litigation, Sargent Shriver
National Center on Poverty Law, on CHA plan and progress
5.      Summary of CHA’s "Plan for Transportation" from their website
6.      Chicago Public Radio’s 2002 series “Inside Housing”

1. http://xavier.cs.northwestern.edu:8000/article.asp?articleID=9705&item=3

“Some public housing residents say the $600,000 the Chicago Housing Authority plans to
spend this summer on a new advertising campaign could be better spent elsewhere.”

2. http://www.chicagoreporter.com/2004/3-2004/homeless/homeless1.htm
“As the Chicago Housing Authority razes thousands of units as part of its 10-year Plan
for Transformation, the city has tracked and attempted to find housing for
leaseholders displaced by the demolition. But many observers say thousands of families
without leases are the most at risk for homelessness, and the city has not committed
enough resources to deal with the problem.”

3. http://www.povertylaw.org/horner_editorial.htm

“The Chicago Housing Authority’s Plan for Transformation—a radical plan to reform
public housing in Chicago—is both ambitious and desperately needed. The goal to build
mixed-income, mixed-race communities is good for residents and communities in which
they live; it is a sign of a healthy and vibrant city. Achieving this goal has proven
to be a very complex and difficult task.”

4. http://www.povertylaw.org/advocacy/housing/wilen_remarks_coalitiontoprotect.cfm

Remarks of William P. Wilen
Director of Housing Litigation
Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law
Coalition to Protect Public Housing April Briefing
April 28, 2004

5. http://www.thecha.org/transformplan/plan_summary.html

“The Chicago Housing Authority’s Plan for Transformation is a blueprint for positive
change. Under the Plan, the CHA will improve the appearance, quality and culture of
public housing in Chicago. It is positive change that will reinvent public housing in
Chicago. The Plan was developed with input from the CHA’s Central Advisory Council,
which consists of elected resident leaders, and the City of Chicago. The Plan was
approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in February, 2000.”

6.http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/programs/specials/chicagomatters/cm02_housing/matters02.asp

>From Chicago Public Radio’s Chicago Matters 2002 series, “Inside Housing”: “When we
>talk housing, we find it wedded to issues of race and class, to discussions of
>equality and social justice. We see it in the struggle to build affordable housing in
>the suburbs, or in a gentrifying neighborhood clinging to its identity within a
>whirlwind of renovation and development. We see it as public housing residents clash
>with Chicago Housing Authority officials over the city's "Transformation" plan.”

List Manager/Amanda Ruch

Chicago Issues Forum - Citywide Civic Discussion
To post to list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To (un)subscribe: http://www.e-democracy.org/chicago/
To contact list manager: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

E-Democracy will not share, trade, or sell your information.  Please do not harvest
participant e-mail information for other lists or solicitations without specific
consent from addressee.