-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin B. O'Reilly
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 11:03 PM
To: Chicago E-Democracy
Subject: RE: [Chicago] Wal-mart (& living wage ordinance)

Before I delve into specifics on this, there are a few assumptions being
made by Wal-Mart opponnents that I believe ought to be challenged head
on. First, there's the matter of why this is before City Council to
begin with. As I understand it, Wal-Mart is requesting a zoning variance
and that's all. If they're requesting tax-increment financing, it's news
to me.

On the zoning question, Chicago's outdated and byzantine zoning
regulations couldn't foresee the size of land that the big box stores
such as Wal-Mart require. So instead of having a more open system of
deed restrictions similar to Houston's, what's really a private matter
(where and when a corporation can locate a store on land it has justly
purchased) is turned into a political football and an opportunity for
bureaucrats, politicians and community activists to -- as one alderman
put it -- "extract concessions" from Wal-Mart.

Of course it's not just the behemoths such as Wal-Mart that routinely
require zoning variances from politicians. It's a routine fact of life
in the city, one that slows innovation, adds to the cost of doing
business and gives aldermen power that's often abused. A sign on a small
strip mall next to the Jarvis el stop, just to give one insignificant
example, advertises not only the laundromat, currency exchange and video
store that occupy the location but says, "Thanks to Alderman Joe Moore."

Why? Is Joe Moore in the video store restocking the shelves? Is he in
the currency exchange filling out money orders? I haven't seen him
ironing shirts at the laundromat, that's for sure. I'm guessing it's
because the owner of the center needed a variance or help with some
other regulation and Moore was kind enough, ho ho, to give it to him.
It's precisely this kind of political oversight of private commercial
matters that leads to corruption -- the all-too-common case of the
alderman who takes money under the table to "do somebody a favor," a
favor that in most cases they oughtn't have the right to give.

As for TIFs, they're in principle abhorrent. Rather than give
politicians the ability to control who gets certain tax privileges and
when, under the guise of attracting business, taxes should be eased
across the board. Then firms would have a much easier time in judging
the merit of doing business in the city or in a certain part of the
city, without having to jump through hoops to make it financially
feasible or at worst abusing the system. This is one more form of
corporate welfare that has to go.

That said, if Wal-Mart is applying for a TIF, it's not the firm's fault
it's attempting to utilize a bad law. The law itself should go; Wal-Mart
shouldn't be penalized for using it. And, really, that's not what this
is about. It's about Wal-Mart in particular and its symbolic value to
certain political groups, including organized labor. For example, one of
the concessions Wal-Mart opponnents are trying to extract is that the
firm promise not to sell groceries. Why?

What does a zoning regulation have to do with what the firm chooses to
sell in its store? Precisely nothing, except that organized labor is
afraid that Dominick's and Jewel will lose market share to Wal-Mart.
It's a legitimate fear, though consumers by no means are forced to shop
at Wal-Mart, and in the proposed locations the problem is precisely that
they are underserved to begin with. It's simple self-serving
protectionism. If that's all that were at stake here, it would be just
another routine political battle. The cruelty of denying much-needed
development, jobs and shopping choices in areas that so badly needed
them should not be overlooked.

Jon Kelland wrote:
"Similar to environmental regulations, minimum wage
laws, workplace safety, etc., there are regulations
put in place to protect people against profit seeking
entities.  Wal-mart has quite a track record ..."

Any firm that records an annual profit of $9 billion will attract a
number of frivolous class-action lawsuits. Wal-Mart has been a target of
fraudsters, shysters and do-gooders for years. Perhaps it is a
legitimate target. But it is not as though it becomes suddenly immune to
civil law when it enters the city limits. It will still be subject to
the same set of wage, hiring and safety regulations as any other firm
doing business here. Wal-Mart, as with any other firm, must obey the
law, however unjust or counterproductive it may be. As far as I know,
Wal-Mart is asking for a zoning variance, not sanctuary from civil and
criminal law.

Chicago Issues Forum - Citywide Civic Discussion
To post to list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To (un)subscribe: http://www.e-democracy.org/chicago/
To contact list manager: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

E-Democracy will not share, trade, or sell your information.  Please do
not harvest participant e-mail information for other lists or
solicitations without specific consent from addressee.