On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Mark Fredrickson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I do believe that one can start a new Erlang VM and add it to the cloud at
> any time, but I get the impression this is actually rare. With n cores, why
> not just start a VM on each core to begin with?

A year or two ago, the Erlang VM gained SMP support, so while it runs
green threads, they can be executed in parallel. I believe this is
called M:N threading (running M green threads on N native ones). Prior
to this, I suspect one-vm-per-core was an Erlang idiom.

Graham