Hi folks,
and happy new year to all!

I have been playing around with some simple build utilities to get Chicken
onto my Android phone (again!).

The fine work <https://github.com/chicken-mobile/android-chicken> by Bevuta
allows us to build a cross-chicken which can cross-compile eggs and the
Chicken runtime. This is great, but I always spend a lot of time going from
there to getting a Chicken ecosystem running on my app, with eggs and a
repl. So I've played around with automating parts of that and integrating
it with ndk-build.

What I've accomplished so far is basically fewer manual steps when starting
a new Chicken app:

- autodetect package name and android platform when building cross-chicken
(no config-file editing which I always get wrong)
- provide an ndk module for chicken that your jni/main.c can depend on
- make the eggs and unit survive through installation (harder than you
think!)

I'm basing my work on Bevuta's Makefile, and created a new branch here:

https://github.com/chicken-mobile/android-chicken/tree/chicken.mk

I've also scrapped together a gist that should reproduce what I've done so
far. This tries to continue what https://wiki.call-cc.org/embeddingdescribes:

https://gist.github.com/kristianlm/8229999

I though I'd announce it here in case it turns out to be useful! I'd also
love to hear about similar efforts.
K.