Hi Alexej,

My tuppence:

On 2015-01-27  4:01, Alexej Magura wrote:
> I don't think I'll use the toplevel-command stuff after all: I can't promise
> that the toplevel symbols readline exports won't get overwritten, and I'm
> not entirely sure readline has any business providing private toplevel
> symbols that are only applicable to it. It might confuse less-experienced
> users*, for one, and for another there's the already mentioned possibility
> of symbol collision, unless somebody more knowledge on this subject can
> prove otherwise.

It's your call of course, but I'd urge you not to let this stop you if
you'd otherwise like to provide this feature. If all commands are
prefixed by "rl", for example, the ease of use would outweight any risk
of conflicts, IMO. After all, extensions are expected to provide
commands; that's part of what the feature's there for. chicken-doc uses
it to great effect, for example.

Perhaps you could address the concern that users will mistake
readline-provided commands for builtins by adding a note that they come
from the readline egg to the commands' help strings?

Cheers,

Evan