set C_COMPILER in config.make and rebuild. I use this to do dev builds with
clang and just checked that it does make chicken-install use the same compiler

if you've already tried this and it didn't work, run `make spotless` and
`chicken-install -purge` and try again. the eggname.build.sh scripts that
chicken-install generates define CHICKEN_CC based on whatever's hardcoded in
chicken-config.h, so if there's old files from a previous build remaining they
could be getting in the way

-alice