Thank you Marsha. I have been given a lot of
information that I didn't know about breeding and spaying now and it is a lot to
think about. I will not do anything without a lot of research and
prayers. However, I am considering changing my mind because even though I
have only had Gordie for 3 days, she is still very dear to me
already.
As for registration, it is not important to me, but I was
just wondering because I have heard alot about it and wanted to be
informed. Information is always the best key.
As for the eating, she has improved. She was barely
eating any at all, and it was worrying me. I mean, less than 1/4 cup a day
is not enough (that I can imagine anyway). Just concerned me.
However, tonight she did really good. She ate a good bit of the dry food,
and I gave her a tbsp of "Beneful meal: Lamb and Rice mix". I think that
she might have not been eating due to her puppy shots or something. The
vet did tell me that she might be a little ill and sore like a baby would with
their shots for a couple days. However, she seems to be ok right
now. I am going to keep an eye on her over the weekend, and if anything
looks "wrong" I am going to call the vet first thing Monday
morning.
I did figure out that she doesn't like to eat it out of
the bowl. She will take a piece, jump on couch, eat it, and then do that
again for the next piece. So I put a folded up old "used to be fuzzy"
blanket under her bowl. She seemed to like to stand on it and ate better
with it there. Will tell in time.
Thank you all for all the advice. Please keep it
coming, as I am a new chi owner, and really do appreciate the advice and
knowledge.
Hugs
Deb P (and Gordie)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 10:24
PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Intro - New
Member - Gordie
Deb. Don't know if I have welcomed you yet or not, but just
in case, welcome to the group. I hope you find the group nicer than the
other you were in. We have had a few problems on here in the past, but
nothing that isn't overcome after a bit if you be patient and wait for
things to blow over.
Ok, you want to ask questions...that is great. We
should all feel we can ask questions without being bashed. So, my question
is...can you deal with contructive criticism? I am the type of person that
feel everyone does not have to agree with everyone else. People should be
able to say, "you know, I disagree," and do so in a humane and decent
manner. Do you agree?
I will try to answer a few of your questions.
However, I would feel dishonest if I didn't first point out that I do not
think you should be breeding this dog. I will not go into all the reasons
why, since I am sure you have already heard them. However, since you have
already made the determination to go ahead and breed, I think it is best
that you do have as much info as possible, therefore, anyone that
knows should be willing to help you.
Registration......unless the
parents of this dog are AKC and you have AKC registration papers, you can
not register the dog AKC. There are other groups that you can register her
with. I am sure others can throw out a few names....APRI I think is what
one is called. There is the CKC (Contintal, not Canadian, which is the
equivalent of the AKC) A fwe others. I know with the CKC, all that is realy
required is a few pics of the dog submitted with a noterized statement from
yourself and a witness that the dog truly is full blooded. Don't ask me
what is suppose to prevent fraud here.
Eating....Personally, I free
feed. Most people do not. I would find a good quality dog food, which is
nutritionally balanced for a small breed that is young and healthy. I would
avoid human food. (unless you choose to go the raw diet rout....which I
can't comment on due to lack of knowledge) If you do not free feed, I would
follow the dog food and vet recommendations on proper amount to feed.
Experment a bit, adjusting as needed. Dog A may not eat the same amount as
Dog B even if they are the same size, age, weight, ect. Like humans,
matabolism differs.
Breeding: If you are determined you are going to
breed this dog, my first recommendation to you is RESEARCH! Ask questions,
speak to breeders, talk to your vet, ect and so on. Get as much info as you
possibly can on the whole process including the many things that can go
wrong with a pregnant chi and/or her pups. INFORMATION is your best weapon.
Wait until she is at least a year and at least 2 heat. I wait till third
heat. I do not know of any pros to waiting till a dog has had a litter of
pups before spaying. I have heard that all my life, but best I can tell, it
is a simple wives tale. Unless a dog is part of a well rounded breeding
program, they should be spayed/neutered as soon as the vet thinks it is
safe. With chis, a lot of people do decide to wait to see if any puppy
teeth will need to be removed and if so, do both procedures at once so
there is only a one time anethesia. This is normally a good idea and the
timing still remains good for spaying/neutering. As for the cons of
waiting....that is the pregnancy itself. Of course, things could go
wonderful and you could have a cute litter of pups that emmediately find
great forever homes. That is the goal. That is the best possible outcome.
Unfortunately, too often, there are complications which could lead to the
death of either the pups or the mom or both. Chis are pretty notorious for
hard deliveries simply due to their small size. Then of course, the genetic
problems that chis are prone to such as hip/leg difficulties, heart
problems ect. And lets not forget low sugar that is REALLY dangerous for a
chi pup. Way to much to go into here. So I am back to my original statement
of RESEARCH ang get as much INFO as possible.
I will again encourage
you to reconsider, but I hope I have answered some of your questions and
provided you with some info in a decent
manner.
Marsha
> I am not sure who all I sent an
intro to, so I am posting again. I know > that I missed
some. For those that I already HAVE intro'd to, I have > also
included a couple questions in this post that I really would like > some
answers/advice about. > > Anyway, my name is Deborah, and I
usually go by Deb. If there is > another Deb in the list, I can
sign off Deb P to end any confusion, > hehe... I live in the SouthEast
corner of TN near Chattanooga, near the > GA and NC
borders. > > I have a new baby. She is an 8 month old,
chocolate colored, short > haired, 3.7 lb, deer head Chi. I have
named her Gordie, after a dear > friend that passed away Easter
Sunday. She is so pretty and very smart. > I just got her on
Tuesday the 18th of this month, so we are still > learning about each
other. She is pretty good house trained. She only > poopied
in the house the first night that I got her, and has been doing > her
business outside ever since. I only take her out on a leash, >
because my yard is not fenced in. (Oh, I live in the country, so
not > much traffic on our road, but still wanting to be as careful as I
can > with her). > > There are a couple questions that I
have, and I am praying that one of > them doesn't get me bashed. I
was in another group where I got really > bashed about my
plans. > > First question is an easy one: how much should a Chi
eat on a normal > basis? How many times a day? Should I just
leave the bowl with food > down for her? What should a chi
eat? What should I definitely NOT feed > her? What about
table food - what table food is ok? (I have ordered > Chihuahua's
for Dummies, and am awaiting its arrival, but I dont want to > wait 2
weeks to know the answers to these questions.) She doesn't eat >
much, and the most that she has eaten was when I hand fed her. I
cant > do that forever though. > > Another question: easy
one I think: How do you get a chi registered? I > dont necessarily
think it is something that I will do, but I was > wondering what it
took, how you did it, and such. Do you have to know > the parents
of the pup? Do you have to have proof of the lineage? etc, >
etc, etc, hehe... > > Here is the question that is hard for me to
ask because of the other > group... I am wanting to wait to spay my
baby. I would like to wait > till she is a couple years old, or at
least let her have one litter of > pups before having her fixed.
The reason isnt for profit or anything > like that, but just because I
would like to have a couple of her > puppies. What are the pros
and cons of waiting till she has a litter? > And if I do wait till she
has a litter, then at what age should I breed > her? Anything that
anyone can tell me about breeding/spaying etc would > be appreciated as
long as it is in a nice manner. I know that sounds > crass, but I
have been hurt already, and really hope that I found a > couple of great
groups of people to talk about these things to. > > I have
attached a couple pics of her so that you can see what she looks >
like. > > Hugs, > Deb > yahoo ID:
little_cajun_queen99 > msn: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
msn: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
myspace: www.myspace.com/watching4jesus
------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Yahoo! Groups gets a
make over. See the new email design. http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/MJOolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->
" Lets talk about our wonderful little friends! Join today!
" Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the
web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chihuahuas/
<*>
To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*>
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
__._,_.___
" Lets talk about our wonderful little friends!
Join today! "
SPONSORED LINKS
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
__,_._,___
|