At 6.8 pounds, she will likely be physically safe to have the pups so long as the male is small enough. The problem you may face is more the puppies safety. She may not have the maturity to properly care for them. Then again, 11 months is not all that young for them to be good mommas. Naturally, it is never a good idea to intentionally breed at this age, but accidents do happen. Now that she is pregnant, the best thing to do is let her have the babies, and be prepared to help her raise them if she is not doing a great job. It is kinda like a teen age human that gets pregnant at 15 or something. Physically, their bodies can do it, but the child is still a child herself and may need help raising the baby. And there are always those teenage girls that just surprise the heck out of ya and become excellent moms.
So, let her have the babies. If you worry about size of pups, get an x-ray during the last two weeks of the pregnancy, then after the pups are weaned, get her spayed. No sense killing the pups now if mom is not in physical danger...and with her size, she likely is not if the dad is a chi (now if the dad were a big dog, that would be different) Marsha ----- Original Message ----- From: Tammie To: [email protected] Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:17 AM Subject: [Chihuahuas] I'm new Hi everyone. I'm new here. I have three chihuahuas and i adore them all. my youngest (zoe) went into her first heat, she was caught three times by one of my male chihuahuas and now is going to have babies. I bought little panties and stuff for her and she just took them off everytime my back was turned. I've made an appointment to abort and spay (april 6th). but I gave myself two weeks to think about it... so I was wondering what your advice would be for me. I am torn and I guess... uggh, I don't know. she will be 11 months when the puppies are born. She is healthy and weights 6.8 lbs as of her vet appt last week. my first and main concern is my Zoe. What is best for her and will she be okay to HAVE the puppies or should I end the pregnancy? any advice, either way, is welcome. I just need to know the pros and cons of both ways. abort or not? Thank you muchly, Tam

