VERY Dangerous dog toy by Four Paws Inc

 



Everyone needs to read this and forward to anyone you know with dogs. Also, be 
sure to read the snopes report after reading this guys story.

snopes.com: Pimple Ball Dog Toy Warning  


If you don't have a dog, send it to your friends who do. 


On Sunday, June 22, 2008 my 1 0-year old lab mix, Chai, sustained a severe 
injury from a product that the company Four Paws Inc, produces. The toy I'm 
referencing is the pimple ball with bell. (Item #20227-001, UPC Code 0 
4566320227 9) While chewing on the toy, a vacuum was created and it effectively 
sucked his tongue into the hole in the ball. From speaking with my vet, this 
likely occurred because there is not a second hole in the ball preventing the 
vacuum effect from happening. I became aware of this when Chai approached a 
friend at my home whimpering with the ball in his mouth. She tried 
unsuccessfully to remove the ball but the tongue had swollen and could not be 
released. 

Chai was taken to the Animal Medical Center (an emergency care facility in New 
York City ) and was treated by Dr. Nicole Spurlock to have the ball removed. 
Because the size of the opening on the ball was so small, all circulation to 
his tongue was cut off. The doctors had to sedate him in ord er to remove it. 
Once the ball was removed, his tongue swelled to the point that he could no 
longer put it in his mouth. Chai was sent home with care instructions and to be 
observed overnight for any changes. 

By the following morning Chai¢s tongue had swollen even more. 

He was taken to his regular vet, Dr. Timnah Lee, for treatment. He was admitted 
and kept sedated for a period of three days during which time they were 
treating his wounds and waiting to determine how much of his tongue could be 
saved. On June 26, 2008 Chai had his tongue amputated. 

He was kept in after-care for an additional three days. On Sunday June 29th I 
brought Chai home from the vet with a barrage of home care instructions, to 
last for an additional 7 days. His next visit was to have his mouth re-examined 
and have the feeding tube in his neck removed. 

On the way home from the vet we stopped at Petland Discount where I purchased 
their product to speak to the manager on duty. Upon meeting Chai and seeing his 
condition, he removed all of the balls in question from the shelves. He also 
gave me the customer service number to their corporate headquarters to request 
that they refuse to continue purchasing all Four Paws products, but I have not 
called them as of yet.


Additionally, I shared my story with friends who have a French Bulldog named 
Petunia. Upon hearing my story their eyes widened. They explained that the same 
thing happened twice in one night with a smaller version of the same ball to 
their dog. Fortunately, they were able to pull it off before the tongue 
swelled, but not without tremendous effort and pain to the dog. They recalled 
how horrific it was to hear their dog screaming while they had to pry the ball 
from her tongue.

To date, my veterinary bills total over $5000.00 and I will have regular follow 
up appointments for some time. Additionally, Chai now requires a much more 
expensive form of food because of this injury, averaging approximately $200 per 
month. 

Also - I am Chai's sole caretaker and the regime required to care for him 
following his surgery has forced me to lose a great deal of business. I am a 
hair stylist and my salon is in my home. Given that Chai needs constant 
attention, and given that he has bee n wailing in pain, I have not been able to 
see clients. 

Additionally, I now have to re-teach my dog to eat, drink and adjust to life 
without his tongue. Just walking him requires about 30min twice a day and we 
only make it three blocks. Feeding him takes me about 90 minutes twice a day 
and for at least this first week he is no t to be unattended for more than 20 
minutes at a time

I sent this information along with the reference to Petunia the french bulldog 
to Four Paws Inc, and it is their position that there just aren't enough 
instances to do anything about this. I told their Insurance company's case 
manager that was not a good enough excuse.


 
       Connie M. Paterson
 


      

Reply via email to