I just wanted to toss in my two cents here.

Our sweet little Raven (who died last December at the age of 17) was a rescue 
from the pound in
NC at the age of two (or there about).    She was just about 17 lbs and a chi 
mixed with some
kind of bully type dog...  boston or pug or something along those lines.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was for all the years we had her when she first 
got 
up
she would kick one of those hind legs out a couple of time.   Sure didn't seem 
to bother her and
she ran like the wind right up to the day she died.   I can't say that what was 
wrong with
her leg is what is wrong with Abby's but it is might be.    We always said she 
had a
hitch in her get along <G>    of course if she had been in any pain or 
difficulty we would have
had her checked and neither our vet in NC nor the one here in AZ mentioned 
it....  I don't think
they ever saw her do it and we never mentioned it.....     

So, for what it's worth..   that is Raven's story......     





________________________________
From: Nancy Lucky <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, November 17, 2010 2:45:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Re: Miss Maggie's first Vet visit with me and my vet 
- 
Important Advice about Abbey

  
Yes, I spent hours on the internet and heard a lot of terrible things about the 
surgery - a lot of times they have to come back and have it re-done - 
infections. Terrible recovery. Abbey runs faster than a greyhound and never 
seems to be in pain. I worked for a surgeon and I know how they are - they get 
their money by doing lots of surgery so I know if I go and talk with the 
surgeon 
he is going to tell me that she needs it!
Nancy



--- On Wed, 11/17/10, charlierom2003 <[email protected]> wrote:


>From: charlierom2003 <[email protected]>
>Subject: [Chihuahuas] Re: Miss Maggie's first Vet visit with me and my vet - 
>Important Advice about Abbey
>To: [email protected]
>Date: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 8:17 AM
>
>
>
>
>> Abbey also had her check up and he really feels strong that I should get her 
>>knees fixed as she has luxtating (sp) patella - she is bow legged but she can 
>>run fast and never seems to be in any pain. I am asking again for your 
>>advice, 
>>should I just take her to the surgeon and see what he says? I have heard that 
>>the surgery is often not successful and often has to be repeated and then 
>>they 
>>get arthritis. I was just wondering if any of you have had the surgery done 
>>and 
>>what was your outcome and would you do it again? I know the longer I put it 
>>off 
>>the outcome can be compromised so PLEASE if you have any opinions please 
>>share 
>>with me.
>> XOXOXOX
>> Nancy and her amazing girls
>
>I would suggest that you do some googling on 'luxating patella in chihuahuas' 
>so 
>you have a better undertanding of what is actually going on in the knees. 
>Perhaps you already have done so, excellent. Personally I have known 3 or 4  
>dogs that had this surgery done. All eventually had pretty good outcomes, but 
>there is a LOT of recovery time and pain and difficulty following the surgery. 
>I 
>think that the surgery is often done unnecessarily. If the dog is not showing 
>any discomfort or serious walking problems I say wait and see what happens, 
>the 
>surgery can be done down the road a bit IF it turns out to be needed. My own 
>chihuahua Swee'Pea developed a bit of a 'skip' in her gait when she was about 
>2 
>years old. No pain evident, still loved running around like crazy, etc. I had 
>2 
>different vets suggest that she needed surgery for this grade 1 luxating 
>patella 
>problem. I said no thanks, lets see what happens over time. Today she is 16 
>years old, still has that same bit of a skip now and then, no pain or problems 
>after all these years of running around on that knee. So I am of course very 
>glad that I did not put her thru the pain, misery, and risk of that surgery. 
>Not 
>to even mention the  cost. So that is my personal experience and opinion.  
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------------
>
>" Lets talk about our wonderful little friends! 
>Join today! " Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
> 
 

Reply via email to