Sure hoping little Mandy gets better and has a full recovery. I raise Mini 
Dachshunds  and they are well known for thier back problems. That crate rest is 
a necessity absolutely ! 
Hugs,Mare~

--- In [email protected], Joan Croft <joan_croft@...> wrote:
>
> Thank you.
> 
> I just got home from my pain management doctor appt a little while ago.  I
> called Judy to see how Mandy is doing and she said she is a little more
> alert than yesterday.of course because the vet gave her a double dose shot,
> which may have meant that she was worse yesterday than the last time.  She
> was laying on the rug by the door with the breeze blowing in and she said
> she is still walking very gingerly.  The spine specialist hasn't called her
> yet.  I did tell her about your earlier email and she was a bit surprised
> that Monster had to be confined to the kennel for so long.  I told her that
> your vet said it was imperative for him.  I asked her if the vet said
> anything about degenerative disk disease and she said no.  I think it will
> be the spine specialist that will deliver the message about just how much
> she needs to be confined.  I think I was reading from your email about
> Monster's instructions to her on the phone.  
> 
> When I had her around the 15th or so of May, I did keep her inside the
> ex-pen except for her to go out potty.  She didn't go bouncing outside here,
> and it was only when I got her back to her house that the bouncing began.
> She has two separate behaviors for two separate homes.  She always goes out
> in my yard and investigates and sometimes lays down in the sun.  She won't
> do that at home.no one out there with her, she wants to come in.  She was so
> good at my house and then the minute she got in hers she was bouncing all
> around and then Judy's husband took her across the street to get the mail
> and she was bouncing all along again.  I think that was maybe 8 days after
> the first injury.  I think they got back on May 16th, and now on June 2nd
> she is all in pain again.
> 
> I am praying for her.I am hoping that the spine surgeon can determine what
> the problem is and let Judy know what she needs to do for Mandy to recover.
> The vet did say something yesterday about always keeping her on the Rimadyl.
> 
> I am glad that Monster is doing so well.  I think if something like that
> happened to Dolly or Desi they would be easier to confine because they have
> a very small area whenever I go out.keeping them in there during the day
> would not be a huge change to them.  I can even make their areas smaller
> just by the way that I let the panel joints go.
> 
>  
> 
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> Behalf Of lgorum18@...
> Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 12:50 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Difficult dog week
> 
>  
> 
>   
> 
> With any spine problem, even if its not disk disease, the dog needs to be
> confined so it can heal. Even when she starts to feel better, she still
> needs to be confined because it takes 6 to 8 weeks for complete recovery. If
> she starts jumping around, she can make it worse and keep it from healing.
> So, when Mandy started feeling better after the last attack and then started
> jumping again, she just re injured it because it didn't have time to heal
> all the way. Monster was a jumper and since he was diagnosed, we have had to
> teach him not to jump so that he doesn't trigger another attack. We've had
> to change a lot around here for him and at first it was hard because I felt
> that he wasn't gonna be happy but dogs adapt and he is as happy as he was
> before even with all the changes. If we hadn't made the changes, Monsters
> quality of life would be low. So, even if Mandy doesn't have disk disease, I
> would strongly recommend to your friend to keep her confined so they don't
> risk more damage and when they find out what is wrong they will be able to
> help her. Not even walks, just outside to go potty. Tell her this could keep
> her from being paralyzed. If she does end up paralyzed, she can still
> recover with crate rest, meds, or surgery. Never consider putting down
> before trying these things. Get 2nd or 3rd opinions if she's not sure. I
> know Judy has to make the decision, but please pass this info on to her. It
> is very important to me and everyone at dodgers list to pass on this info to
> help dogs recover and to prevent people from putting down dogs too early.
> Please tell her to ask the vet or specialist about this and also go to
> dodgerslist.com. I will be praying for Mandy.
> 
> Lorena
> 
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
> 
>   _____  
> 
> From: Joan Croft <joan_croft@...> 
> 
> Sender: [email protected] 
> 
> Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:12:34 -0700
> 
> To: <[email protected]>
> 
> ReplyTo: [email protected] 
> 
> Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] Difficult dog week
> 
>  
> 
>   
> 
> Thank you Lorena.
> 
> I don't think that he mentioned disk disease a few weeks ago when the first
> big attack happened.  I think Judy said yesterday that the vet mentioned a
> disk.not sure if she said herniated or bulging.  But, I didn't hear her say
> that the first time.  Mandy is a terrier and that makes her a jumper.  The
> first few days last time she did spend most of her time sleeping, and then I
> watched her while they went to visit some relatives.  I had taken Desi to
> the vet for his butt rash and told the vet that I was going to have her at
> my house and put her in the x-pen that I usually put across the doorway for
> Desi when I am gone.  I told him how Desi & Mandy love to wrestle.  I also
> told him that Judy said she was doing better but had also told me that Mandy
> might have a good day or two but that would be the result of the shot and
> then she would probably slip back a little.  I had her confined when I went
> out, and when I was home, I had her fully closed in if Desi was in the
> house, and then if Desi was outside, I let Mandy walk around the house.  By
> the time Judy came back Mandy was dancing all the way home and Tony took her
> out to get the mail and she was pretty much bouncing then too.  She was
> supposed to be kept quiet but she loves to walk, and maybe the walk that the
> vet said was just to get her to go potty, but Judy might have have false
> confidence and she got walked a little bit further than she really should
> have. 
> 
> Judy and Tony are going to visit their family in Chicago on the 12th.  She
> made reservations for Mandy to stay at the animal hospital to be boarded
> because she didn't want to put undue stress on me.  I am doing pretty well,
> and if Mandy comes over I will keep her on low activity because I know about
> spine problems.  If Judy lets her stay at the animal hospital boarding I
> know that the vet will be checking on her, but she would be on the concrete
> floor, they can't put her higher because she screeches when touched.  So, I
> told Judy that she isn't going to be a burden on me.we had a very good
> arrangement last time, and I can't walk too far so if Mandy doesn't poop in
> my back yard, a very short walk is all that she can get out of me.  She can
> have a comfy bed and be with me and my little ones.  Desi and Mandy kissed
> through the bars last time, but there was no playing with each other.  I
> told Judy she had to weigh the pros and cons in her mind and that if she
> wanted her to stay with me there would be no problem.  But, if it was Dolly
> or Desi, I would be thinking of the vet being there in case of a problem as
> a positive for being boarded and I think that another week might help Judy
> to decide what she thinks is best.  
> 
> I know that Monster is doing better and he was confined, and even at Judy's
> house Mandy is not confined she can get up and walk around and then as she
> got better she would start to jump to get a treat or something.  Judy has to
> make the decision, I just let her know that I am open to keeping her here.
> 
> I have to tell you that Judy has, and would again, take loans against her
> retirement or put it on her credit card to pay for surgery for Mandy.  I
> don't think that putting her down would be an option for them unless she was
> paralyzed and couldn't move.  It would have to be a severe case of realizing
> that Mandy was in so much pain and it would be the only humane thing to do,
> before Mandy would be put down.
> 
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> Behalf Of lgorum18@...
> Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 11:10 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Difficult dog week
> 
>  
> 
>   
> 
> Did the vet mention anything about disk disease? Monster was diagnosed with
> it a couple months ago. One day he started yelping when I picked him up. The
> vet did xrays and found a bulging disk. Disk disease cause disks to
> degenerate faster than normal and dogs usually show signs between 3 and 7
> years old. The disk can bulge or herniate causing a lot of pain and
> sometimes paralysis. This is very treatable! Either by conservative
> treatment (crate rest) or surgery (if severely paralyzed and caught in
> time). A lot of time is needed for recovery but if strict about it, most
> dogs recover fully. Some vets don't know enough about this disease and dogs
> are put down when they shouldn't have been. You may tell your friend to ask
> about it and if her vet or the specialist doesn't know much about it or says
> anything about putting her down because of it, find a vet that knows about
> it and all the options. A great site to visit is www.dodgerslist.com. It
> explains every thing about disk disease. Let me know what happens. I hope
> this helps!
> 
> Lorena
> 
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
> 
>   _____  
> 
> From: Joan Croft <joan_croft@...> 
> 
> Sender: [email protected] 
> 
> Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 00:44:29 -0700
> 
> To: <[email protected]>
> 
> ReplyTo: [email protected] 
> 
> Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] Difficult dog week
> 
>  
> 
>   
> 
> I talked to Judy and he told her that it is her spine and that there may be
> a herniated disk.  Our vet is going to contact the spine specialist vet.
> Our vet said that Mandy may need to stay on the Rimadyl and Tramadol from
> now on.  That is actually consistent with what Carmen was saying, except
> Carmen was talking long term that Mandy would have to be put down.  I am
> hoping that the specialist can give her a better prognosis.  Carmen said the
> original injury was from her previous owner tying her out and her pulling
> constantly to get away.  I don't know if that means that she was on a very
> short rope or what.  Now, with me having back injuries, I do know that
> sometimes people hurt their backs by doing repetitive things and then it is
> the last straw that gives them the pain that starts the problems and then I
> also know that with the spine many injuries are degenerative, so the older
> she gets, the more she will have problems.  She is only about five years old
> based on however the shelters figure it.  Judy didn't have any problems with
> her until this past Mothers' Day.  Mandy means everything to Judy & Tony -
> and me too.  I want her to get well so much, but the vet saying she will
> have to stay on the meds all the time is really not a very good sign.
> 
>  
> 
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> Behalf Of lgorum18@...
> Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:34 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Difficult dog week
> 
>  
> 
>   
> 
> What did the vet say was wrong with Mandy?
> 
> Lorena
> 
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
> 
>   _____  
> 
> From: Joan Croft <joan_croft@...> 
> 
> Sender: [email protected] 
> 
> Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 20:47:04 -0700
> 
> To: <[email protected]>
> 
> ReplyTo: [email protected] 
> 
> Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] Difficult dog week
> 
>  
> 
>   
> 
> Not all heart murmurs are a serious issue.  I wouldn't be able to listen to
> Dolly & Desi and know a murmur if I had too.LOL
> 
> I am sorry about the seizures.  I don't know too much about that, I just
> know that my sister's dog was on Phenobarbital all the years that she owned
> him.  So, I don't really think he had any more seizures because of the meds.
> 
> This week Dolly has really been trying my patience.  She can communicate
> with my Mom's spirit, and per my friend, her spirit is with my Sister's
> family (the one that passed away on Tuesday).  I am willing to share, but
> Dolly just doesn't know what is going on beyond the knowledge that something
> is not right.  I see both her and Desi looking up into the air and sniffing,
> sniffing, sniffing.  I don't think that I ever saw signs of Desi doing that
> before, so maybe he just knew she was there and is trying to locate her.  I
> had also thought earlier today that maybe my sister's spirit had been her
> for a while because of the degree of anxiety in Dolly & Desi.  I did talk to
> my friend with 'the gift' and she heard Dolly acting up and a little while
> later Dolly calmed down a lot.  I had given her some of the calming gel, but
> if that is what helped her it took a couple of hours.  Once they were both
> calm, and I was dead tired, we laid down and they both are acting pretty
> normal right now.  I hope that it lasts because I don't think my brain is
> healed enough to be able to listen to their stressful barking and try to do
> what I need to do as far as medications and playing computer games to help
> my brain to heal.  No computer games yet.was tired, then slept, now I feel
> more tired than before..I hate when that happens.
> 
> Also, my neighbor, Judy, who is Mandy's mom, called me about 2 pm because
> Mandy was screeching in pain again.  She couldn't get her into the car to
> take her to the vet, so I brought Dolly & Desi's stairs that they use to get
> up in the bed.  Using treats to lure her, she got the hang of getting up the
> three stairs.and Judy said she did better going up them when they left the
> vet.  The vet gave her a double strength injection and is going to try to
> get an appointment - Monday at the latest with the canine spine specialist
> in the area.  My friend Carmen told me that it isn't good and that she will
> not ever really get over this and ultimately need to be put down.  I want to
> prove Carmen wrong with this one.  Mandy means so much to Judy and Tony -
> and me and Dolly & Desi, too.  So, prayers are really needed for her.  She
> is such a sweet dog and it makes me almost cry to see her like this.
> 
> Thank you everyone!
> 
> Joan
> 
>  
> 
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> Behalf Of flopo
> Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 8:22 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: [Chihuahuas] Difficult dog week
> 
>  
> 
>   
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Well one of our older dogs, Zero, (part shepherd, part pit, part lab and who
> knows what else), had a seizure a couple of days ago.  He's about 9 and has
> never had a seizure.  It was a grand mal and lasted about two minutes,
> proceeded by a brief bout of vomiting.  He had been in the house all
> morning, so I don't think he got into anything.  Within about three minutes
> he had returned to normal and has been okay ever since.  We'll keep a close
> eye on him and see what happens.  All appears to be well at this time.  Then
> I took my little ones in today for their first rabies shot.  They aren't
> required here, but if I want to take them with me into the States, they have
> to have them.  Well first of all they don't use the smaller doses for
> smaller dogs, that didn't make me happy, then they told me since it WAs
> their first rabies shot, it was only good for one year.  After that, the
> shots are good for three years.  Then when the vet was examining Bruiser, he
> asked me if she coughed much, ( I figured he heard a heart murmur, which he
> did).  She has those backwards sneezes, and coughs if she barks are growls a
> lot, but I wouldn't say she coughs very much at all.  So all afternoon I've
> been trying to hear the murmur for myself, and I can't.
> 
>  
> 
> What a day.  Or should I say week!
> 
>  
> 
> Pam
> 
>  
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>                       
> 
> 
>  <mailto:xiaonath@...>
>




------------------------------------

We are now on Facebook!  Join today!   

http://www.facebook.com/groups/chihuahuasclubYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chihuahuas/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Chihuahuas/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to