I just realized that you said he is 4 months old, and at a very curious
stage, and learning his independence too. It is very normal at this age to
not want to listen, but I would still do as I previously posted to
re-enforce the recall.

Peggy
 
 
 
 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: Peggy & The Girls
Date: 3/25/2012 4:48:37 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] Four and a half month old training question
 
That usually happens when their name is used in a negative way. For example,
you may have used his name once and said something like
''Gimli, what did you do?'' when he did something wrong. It is not so much
the name, but the tone that was used at the time with the first word being
his name. Some dogs are very sensitive to reprimand of any kind, and if you
include their name, even once, they can associate it as a bad thing.
 
Never use his name in training or reprimands. Only use his name, when you
call him and always give a reward of a ''good boy'' and a pet, because he
listened. Try to use a higher pitch tone of excitement when you say ''good
boy'' and pet him. He will associate his name with the ''good boy'' and
petting.
 
In the meantime, you can re-enforce it by putting him on a long 6ft+ leash
and do the recall saying ''Gimil Come!', give a slight pull on the lease and
give him a treat, and the ''good boy'' and a couple of pets.  Try it a
couple of times a day, but only call him 3x and then release him from the
leash with lots of praise, until the next session.
 

 
 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: Shelley
Date: 3/25/2012 3:58:50 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Chihuahuas] Four and a half month old training question
 
  
Hi, I have a 4 and a half month old Chihuahua puppy named Gimli and I have
been using positive reinforcement to train him to come to me when I call him
 He used to come running as fast as he could 99% of the time. But lately I
ve noticed that when I call him, he just looks at me then goes back to
sniffing whatever he was sniffing. Any ideas for training techniques?

thanks,

Shelley


 
 

<<attachment: GIRLS&~11.PNG>>

Reply via email to