On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Peter Kasting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Erik Kay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> It would be nice to remove ATL/WTL dependencies from Chromium so that
>> people can build it with Visual C++ Express.
>
> According to various webpages whose instructions I have not personally
> tested (e.g. http://www.codeproject.com/KB/wtl/WTLExpress.aspx ), this is
> already possible with a couple of extremely minor tweaks.  If we cared, we
> could probably provide a script to make these tweaks.  (Personally, I don't
> care.  The Mac/Linux ports and tryserver cover most of the cases where I
> think a contributor without a paid version of Visual Studio would be willing
> and likely to make contributions.  I don't see huge demand for VS Express
> from people doing anything more than tire-kicking.)

Will the try servers become public?  We've had a number of
contributors who have access to Linux (where everything's free) and
Windows (because it came with their computer) but who still can't test
their patches on Windows because of the VC2005 dep.

> I am opposed to removing ATL and WTL.  Ben and I have never agreed on this
> and probably will continue to disagree.  There are a number of cases where
> WTL makes tricky-to-get-right code noticeably simpler and more readable, and
> I have objected to (and been overruled on) cases where we've removed it and
> made our code longer and hairier.  There were a number of message-forwarding
> problems in our code long ago that never would have occurred if we'd just
> used WTL properly instead of being stubborn and trying to write our own
> code.

My Windows knowledge is about ten years rusty, but WTL is free, right?
 So there's no need (at least in the "dropping dependency on expensive
software" sense) to remove it.