On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:
> I thought on the mac, we were just going to support windowless mode.  This
> discussion of passing HWNDs or XwindowIDs only pertains to windowed mode
> plugins.
> Is there a windowed mode for mac that we need to worry about?

There are a few of independent issues:
- The current plugin code makes some assumptions about being able to
pass HWNDs around.  So far, working around those on the Mac hasn't
been too difficult, but having a "native view ID" as Dean proposes
looks like it would be handy, though not critical.

- Mac NPAPI only supports "windowless" mode in the window-ownership
sense, but still supports two variations (which differ in how layering
is handled, in order to emulate "windowed" mode from a layering/event
dispatching standpoint), and technically requires a native window
reference for both windowed and windowless mode.  So far, flash
doesn't seem to mind if that's NULL as long as I force it into
windowless mode by overriding the "wmode" plugin parameter, but other
plugins may, so it's on my radar.  Plugins (such as flash) that want
to switch to full screen mode will also need native windows, though
that's a can of worms I'm not even looking at until normal windowless
mode is working.

- for video, 3D, or anything else that needs/wants an accelerated
drawing surface, or if we need/want to avoid bouncing everything
through a shared memory buffer, we'll need to be able to create
overlay windows that are locked to the browser window.  This gives the
effect of a subwindow, but using public APIs it can't be accessed by a
different process.  The Earth plugin would gain a 2X increase in frame
rate (according to the Earth engineers last time I talked to them) if
we can do this, and Client3D currently requires it to work at all.  As
with the previous item, I'm not actively worrying about it yet, but
we'll need to solve it eventually.

--Amanda