Might be best if someone with a lot of GYP experience responded to this.
Someone brought up using GYP on the WebKit mailing list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adam Roben <aro...@apple.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] MSVS vcproj
To: Seo K <zerocool....@gmail.com>
Cc: webkit-...@lists.webkit.org

On Jun 29, 2009, at 4:57 AM, Seo K wrote:

 I see many build fixes related to MSVS project files in svn repository
> history. I think it is a very error-prone process to maintain MSVC project
> files manually because MSVS project files are auto-generated and are not
> meant to be edited by hands. Don't you have any plan to change it to use a
> script to generate MSVC project files as GYP in Chrome does?

We don't have any plans to switch to using GYP (or a comparable system) on
Windows currently. It's true that some parts of the .vcproj files are hard
to edit by hand (e.g., the pre- and post-build event commands). But it's
actually easier to add/remove source files from them than it is to do the
same to an Xcode project. I guess your argument applies to Xcode project
files, too.

If you think something like GYP would be a good solution for WebKit, it
would be helpful for you to provide an overview of how the system works and
how using it would make things easier for WebKit developers.

-Adam