As a general observation on large development teams, infrastructure
can get less love, because everyone comes to the team to work on the
exciting main product, not the more mundane build infrastructure.  If
you have ideas on how to fix this stuff, I think it would be perfectly
reasonable to put up patches that will improve things.  Not as
exciting as changing something that millions of people will see,
perhaps, but if your request is ever to happen, SOMEONE has to do the
gruntwork to make it happen...

-scott