On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Peter Kasting<pkast...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Evan Martin <e...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> I think it'd be pretty interesting to fully suspend background tabs,
>> but doing it safely is likely tricky.  For example, imagine a page
>> that has Javascript that is driving a Flash plugin playing background
>> music.
>
> For a common real-life example people want to work, imagine having Pandora
> open in a background tab.  People expect it to keep playing music.

Is it using Flash to play the music?  Presumably if your web page were
thoroughly HTML5, the browser could arrange to only idle tabs which
were thoroughly undetectable, so if it were playing music, the
assumption would be that it shouldn't be idled.

I think the real question is whether low-power is useful enough to be
worth targeting.  There needs to be enough benefit (the 8% reduction
mentioned is probably the maximum), and it needs to be tractable.
Maybe something like profiling which flags tabs that are using a lot
of CPU.  Plug-ins make this hard, of course, but there may be
practical ways to work around that by attributing plug-in CPU time to
the tab which caused it as possible, and tracking background plug-in
threads separately.  Perhaps the kind of thing that could be surfaced
for an extension to hook into.

-scott