On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Nicolas Sylvain<nsylv...@chromium.org> wrote:
>   The underlying problem with buildbot is the database format, which is just
> hundred of
> thousand of files on the harddrive, with no "seek" capability, and the fact
> that the
> webserver itself is single threaded.
>   We currently have 63 slaves on our main waterfall. I think this is too
> many for what
> buildbot can really support. We would ideally need to split it.

Can we get upstream buildbot devs involved in this discussion?  It
seems they ought to be able to scale better than they have.

It seems to me a caching layer that only ever hit the "backend" every
ten seconds would allow it ten seconds to grind through its
computations, which should be more than sufficient, without any extra
splitting up required.  That is, we should (a) fix the proxy and (b)
make every use the proxy.

>   Q3: What kind of auto-refresh do we need?
>   We used to be at 60 secs for a long time, and I changed it a couple of
> weeks ago to 90 secs.
> No one complained, so I guess this is good. Should we go even higher than
> that?

I personally hate auto-refresh.  We should make it opt-in since I
doubt most users need it and it adds load.  I expect many people
(myself included) leave the buildbot page open in a background tab and
have it continually refreshing despite not looking at it.

(My other common use case: the tree is red, I start scrolling down to
see what's gone wrong, and then the page refreshes out from under me
and I lose where I was looking.)

> - Get a better machine. It's already running on a dedicated dual quad core
> nehalem server
>   with 24gb of RAM and 15k rpm drives.

This is absurdly powerful!  It should have all the data necessary to
generate the page in RAM already, no need for even touching the disks
(?).