With a good heuristic, I think it will be very unlikely that we'll kill a
renderer that has useful state. What are the chances that a tab on a site
that I don't go to often, and that I opened 30 tabs ago has js/dom state
that is critical for me? Mobile browsers already euthanize unused
tabs aggressively. Since so few users have 20+ tabs open at once perhaps we
can just reset their expectations for what happens if they accumulate a
large number of tabs. Perhaps the heuristic could be tied to the mythical
great overflow UI. For all of these heavy users I suspect they would prefer
chrome to remain zippy fast with large tab sets rather than paging a
renderer that 99.9% of the time doesn't have any interesting state.
Linus