On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Greg Spencer <gspen...@google.com> wrote:

> Hello Chromium Devs,
> The O3D team is working on getting O3D integrated into the Chromium build,
> and we're close to being able to complete our first step towards
> integration:  To build the O3D plugin as part of the Chromium code base, and
> link it into Chromium DLL.  It will still be a "plugin", but will be added
> to the internal plugins list so that its entry points are found in the
> Chromium DLL, instead of loading a separate plugin DLL.  This is a small
> step, and makes little practical difference except that 1) it will be
> bundled with Chromium, and 2) it opens the door to start integrating more
> fully.
>
> To achieve this first step, we have converted the O3D plugin to build using
> GYP, and have migrated to using all of the third_party libraries that we
> have in common at the same revision levels as Chromium is using.
>
> The next thing to do is to change Chromium's DEPS file to include the few
> remaining necessary dependencies that O3D uses and Chromium does not.
>
> These are:  A vector math library (vectormath), Nixysa: an NPAPI IDL
> generator, gflags (the python parts, for nixysa), and native client (for the
> nacl imc libraries).

Overall it looks good to me, with some comments/questions:

> I'm planning to map these like this:
> --
>   "src/third_party/vectormath":
>     "
> http://o3d.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/googleclient/third_party/vectormath@";
> + Var("o3d_code_rev"),
>
>   "src/third_party/nixysa/files":

why in a subdir called "files"?

>     "http://nixysa.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nixysa@"; + Var("nixysa_rev"),
>
>   "src/third_party/npapi/files":

same here?

>     "http://nixysa.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/third_party/npapi@"; +
> Var("nixysa_rev"),
>
>   "src/third_party/ply/files":

same here?

>     "http://nixysa.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/third_party/ply-3.1@"; +
> Var("nixysa_rev"),
>
>   # NACL has to be in this weird directory because it looks for
>   # googleclient two levels above it.
>   "src/third_party/native_client/googleclient/native_client":

Looks like they should change their code to make it work without assuming
all these directories.

and this code is already fetched in src/native_client, we don't want it
twice.

>     "
> http://nativeclient.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nacl/googleclient/native_cli...@188
> ",

And if we really can't, then.... this path does not exist on head for this
repo. Any change we can sync to a later revision so we don't have to change
the path later on?

>   "src/third_party/gflags/":
>     "http://google-gflags.googlecode.com/svn/tr...@30";,
> --
>
> In addition, I'll be making the Windows build of Chromium be dependent upon
> building O3D as part of the build process.
>
> This is really just a "heads up!" announcement to prompt heated discussions
> about the ensuing calamities that this will cause, so please feel free to
> comment.

For those who are curious :

$ du -h --max-depth=1 .
4.1M    ./gflags