On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Anthony LaForge <lafo...@google.com>wrote:

> Even with filter tools which parse the SVN logs and look for revisions with
> closed bugs, specific keywords in the logs, specific files, auto-discarding
> reverts, etc... that still brings us down to about 150 entries that require
> manual review.  Of those, a good portion are not immediately clear from
> either the bug title or the SVN summary as to exactly what the fix was for,
> which requires extra detective work.  Once that's done we end up re-writing/
> clarifying the text.

I'm not terribly sympathetic here.  My home machine lacks all those tools
and I was able to write up a set of detailed release notes (for a release
that had been given near none) in my spare time in about two hours one
evening.

Even with all that effort I'm not 100% satisfied that we're coming up with
> what I'd call good results (we hit most things, but it's easy to miss lots
> of important stuff).

So?

Or to be less brief, what's the impact of the release notes missing some
changes?  No one is going to die.  The audience here is curious enthusiasts
who like to read "What's New" items.  Our past release notes have missed
tons of big things.

it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask committers, who have the best sense of
> the nature of their work, to take an extra minute to put a single line
> descriptive comment along side their SVN commit (and for reviewers to check
> it).

Committers already should be writing a description of their work and
reviewers should be checking it.  If it's not clear enough, I don't think
the solution is to ask for two descriptions.  I think we should instead ask
people to take more time to write a clearer description that hits the high
points in the first sentence.  (Notorious bad messages: "This fixes bug
12345."  "Fix some problems."  "".)

PK