I'll add:

I really think the reality of the situation today is that sheriffing
is a full time job. The days I last did sheriffing I found to do a
good job of it I basically couldn't do anything else (e.g. write code)
other than watch the tree. So I wanted to point out that when you are
sheriff, it's something that you need to focus your attention to. If
you're sheriff and are coding and start getting messages from other
team members wondering what's up with the tree, you need to evaluate
what you're focusing on.

THAT SAID,

I agree with amanda and jar that people need to take more
responsibility about their own checkins. (See my other comment in this
thread).

-Ben