On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Wan-Teh Chang <w...@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Marshall
> Greenblatt<magreenbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been using url_request for a while now, and I find myself
> consistently
> > forgetting the relationship between the various managers/handlers and
> order
> > in which the asynchronous calls take place.  Does anyone currently have a
> > document/diagram for url_request that we can put up under Design
> Documents
> > on the developer wiki?
>
> Eric Roman has a diagram that shows the relationship between
> URLRequest and the classes below it.  He may not have published
> it on our website, but it is in his YouTube video on the Chromium
> network stack.

Thanks, I'll check it out.  The video is here for anyone else who's
interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDb42M6ZLk

> But I suspect you're more interested in the
> relationship between URLRequest and its consumers.

You're correct.  In this particular case we're implementing URLRequestJob to
handle custom schemes in combination with
URLRequest::RegisterProtocolFactory(), and we need to properly understand
all of the pesky thread/race/callback issues.

> The order in which the asynchronous calls take place is documented
> in url_request.h, in the block comment above the Delegate class.
> If you find that comment unclear or out of date, please create a
> changelist to update it with your findings.

The level of detail in url_request.h is great, but I think a higher-level
overview would also be good.  For example, see the comment at the beginning
of webkit/tools/test_shell/simple_resource_loader_bridge.cc.  What I would
like to create for url_request is a document that explains the relationship
between URLRequest, URLRequestJob, etc, at this higher level and with
diagrams visually depicting the relationship between the various static
methods, callbacks and delegates.