On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Ben Goodger (Google)<b...@chromium.org> wrote:
> I don't know much about the technical details at play here, but a
> couple of high level notes:
>
> - I am sympathetic to concerns around codebase cleanliness. Many
> people (like Brett) have spent very many months maintaining and
> improving the hygiene of Chrome code. Sometimes it feels like an
> uphill battle. Some people (like myself) tend to be more forgiving of
> temporary clutter when you have an established track record of making
> these changes and then swiftly sweeping up afterwards.
>
> - We have a growing number of ifdefs. It's getting hard to understand
> when and why each is set. As someone proposing to add more, it'd be
> much appreciated if you'd put together a doc on our website (and link
> it up) noting when the common ones are set. If you start such a doc,
> people can continue to augment/update it with others.

I'd be happy to do that. When I do, there's something that's already
puzzling me, and that's OS_POSIX.

I don't have a copy of the POSIX standard, at least not a recent one,
so its hard to know what is or isn't POSIX, and I imagine I am not
alone in that. However, various comments lead me to believe that
OS_POSIX doesn't really mean "POSIX" in people's minds - it really
means "UNIXish" or "not Windows" or something.

How would I document this define? Is there an agreed meaning?

> So sorry if it seems like you're getting the third degree here, I just
> think it's a good idea for the team at large to know what's going on
> so we can all remember to follow up from time to time.

I'm not complaining.