On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Drew Wilson<atwil...@chromium.org> wrote:
> I have to admit I'm somewhat fuzzy on the motivation behind our webkit API,
> although I gather the plan is to eventually upstream it to WebKit, and use
> it as our abstraction layer instead of using the (more mutable) WebCore
> APIs? Or is there another motivation?

Roughly speaking, the intention as I understand it is for it to be a
stable, well defined C++ API that serves the same purpose as Apple's
Objective-C API.  With such an API, applications (such as Chromium) or
other frameworks (such as CEF) would not have to be tweaked
continuously to keep in sync with WebKit (much as Mac applications
that use WebViews don't have to be tweaked very often to stay
compatible with WebKit nightlies).

Speaking from prior experience, stable interface layers can be a bit
of a pain to create and maintain, but much less than the pain of
trying to stay in sync with a continuously changing target.

--Amanda