On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Anand Mistry <akmis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at the about:memory page and am wondering how useful is the
> private VM field?  Would it be just as good to have a total VM instead?  The
> reason I ask is because private VM doesn't map easily to Linux where private
> pages can be shared becuase of copy-on-write.

I don't think it matters much; the VM size is not critical.  You could
diverge on linux/windows on this field (but you'll have to get the help text
mopped up to describe whatever is displayed)

> Also, in general, how useful is knowing VM size considering it's not
> necessarily corollated with actual memory usage?

Hard to say!  But it does seem like an analysis of memory without being able
to see some amount of VM information is incomplete.

Mike