Perhaps rather than disabling the hang monitor altogether what that
could do is add an additional option to the warning the first time:
"don't notify me again." If you click that, then it will disable the
hang monitor until the plugin is once again responsive and then
becomes unresponsive again. (Or maybe even until the plugin
terminates.)

That avoids the need to have a plugin be trusted in any way, but keeps
the UI simple unless the plugin knows it wants to display it and get
debugged. You'd still have to deal with the dialog once but after that
it would get out of your way.

--Mike

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Scott Hess <sh...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Another alternative would be a "ping" type call to say "I'm
> unresponsive, and I mean it."  Like a watchdog timer.  The plug-in
> could still effectively be hung, but at least it has to have things
> together enough to call the watchdog.
>
> -scott
>

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:37 PM, John Abd-El-Malek <j...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> For reference, something similar is done for popups:
>> void NPN_PushPopupsEnabledState(NPP instance, NPBool enabled);
>> void NPN_PopPopupsEnabledState(NPP instance);
>> Perhaps we can do the same thing here:
>> void NPN_PushPluginHangDetectorState(NPP instance, NPBool enabled);
>> void NPN_Pop PluginHangDetectorState(NPP instance);

>>> I was thinking something like this for my case (substitute appropriate
>>> method names):
>>> NPN_SetPluginWarning(false);
>>> processSocketMessages();