Regarding the packing, you should not use the --pack-extension-key switch
when you want to create a private key, but only when you already have one.Not
specifying it will create it.
Maybe that is why it did not work for you.
:)

Good luck!

And, by the way, there was something about a feature in which specially
marked Bookmarklets would get a Page Action spot. It may still exist in the
Page Actions design doc.

☆PhistucK