I'm trying to use SkCanvas::drawText() with mulitbyte UTF-8
characters, but they always come out rendered as a square box
placeholder glyph. I've walked into the code and I can see that Skia
is indeed parsing the UTF-8 correctly, and it comes up with the
correct code point. And in SkGlyphCache, it finds a matching glyph and
returns it. So it appears that the matching glyph just looks like a
box for some reason.

I double-checked that the font I'm using actually contains these
characters (by rendering them using HTML).

Does anyone know what might cause this?

thanks,

- a