It seems like loading into memory will result in more predictable access
times for the initial set of words that get spellchecked (up to the point
where the memory-mapped file would have been entirely paged in).  If you
combine this with my memory purger code that will (hopefully) result in the
dictionary getting dumped out of memory occasionally, which causes the
behavior "right after open" to become more significant, I think loading into
memory is a win.
I doubt the dictionaries are structured such that memory-mapping the file
will reduce the browser process memory footprint in a meaningful way.

PK