On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Mike Hearn <mh.in.engl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm concerned about the way Chromium displays SSL security indicators,
> which this blog post reminded me about:
>
>   http://chrome.blogspot.com/2009/10/are-you-seeing-red.html
>
> There have been a few studies of SSL usability and the conclusions are
> that Chrome-style UI does not work. For example see Dhamija, Tygar and
> Hearst:
>
>   http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1124861

I agree that our certificate error UI can be improved.  If you have
concrete suggestions, the best way to make your case is to write an
academic paper and conduct a user study that shows how the new UI
out-performs the current UI.  Failing that, putting together a nice
set of mocks and a coherent argument are good ways to make your case.

One thing that we are doing in Chrome 4 is implementing Strict
Transport Security, which is a security feature that lets
high-security sites opt out of these error pages:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Sep/att-0051/draft-hodges-strict-transport-sec-05.plain.html

Adam