First, I'd prefer to keep the presubmit checks from having any side-effect.

For a)
You haven't mentioned which editor you use but if it is a problem for
you, maybe you should tweak the editor? VS, emacs, vim can be modified
to do it or at least highlight it; I don't know about xcode. Otherwise
a very simple python script can do it for you, maybe you could create
a new kind of gcl hook. git already has functionality for commit
hooks.

For b), follow the steps at
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/coding-style#TOC-Subversion-properties
It's necessary for git usage too.